- Tenure-track Assistant Professor, Institute of African Studies, Carleton University, Ottawa (July 1, 2014 – ) Cross-appointed: Department of English and Bachelor of Global and International Studies (BGINS) Program
- Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship (June 2012 – June 2014), Institute of African Studies, Carleton University, Ottawa
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Brown University, Providence, U.S.A. (June 2012) – Declined
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Brown University (2011-2012 academic year)
- Principal Instructor, Department of English & Film Studies, University of Alberta, Edmonton (Sept 2007 – April 2010)
- Adjunct Professor, Department of English, University of Ibadan (August 2004 – Sept 2005)
- Tutorial Assistant, University of Ibadan (1988 – 1989)
Media (Journalism): 1991-2006: Fifteen years experience in editorial and management capacities in print media, with emphasis on Literary and Cultural Journalism; founding editor, three newspaper literary supplements: The Post Express Literary Supplement (PELS), Literature and Ideas in This Day and later in New Age and National Mirror newspapers; authored numerous articles in newspapers and magazines. Authored over 200 articles and reviews, and maintained weekly columns in about five newspapers and magazines. I continue to write occasional syndicated articles for print newspapers and online newspapers and blogs.
Other Important Forms of Scholarly Productivity
Government or extra-university
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2012-2014, SSHRC, $140,000
Service to the Profession
Offices in learned societies
- Member at Large, Executive Board, Canadian Association of African Studies (May 2014 – 2017)
- External Examiner, Doctoral dissertation: Idoko Ojabo, BLACK RIVER: An account of Christmas Preacher, a slave freed. Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand. May 9, 2018.
- Reviewer, Palgrave Macmillan Publisher, 2017; 2018
- SSHRC Insight Grant application, Winter 2017
- Member, Editorial Board of Nokoko: Journal of the Institute of African Studies (October 2012 – ). Actively engaged in assessing, editing, and proofreading manuscripts and advance copies of the journal.
- Manuscript review for Research in African Literature (RAL), September 2016.
- Two Manuscripts reviews, Tydskrif: Journal of Literature University of Pretoria, South Africa, February 2015.
- Manuscripts reviews, University of Alberta Press, 2011
- Manuscript review, Contemporary Literature — academic journal of the University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA, August 2006.
- Manuscript review, Postcolonial Text — a refereed open access journal that publishes articles, book reviews, interviews, poetry and fiction on postcolonial, transnational, and indigenous themes, September 2006.